Resource Guide for Foreign-Trained Registered Nurses
There are many steps involved in qualifying to be a Registered Nurse in Maine. Here are some tools to help guide you.
Want to meet with us?
This RN Licensing Guide is specifically for foreign-trained and/or credentialed nurses. This guide contains detailed information about all of the requirements.
In addition to the resources listed below, keep in mind that many employers have recruitment and tuition reimbursement programs that may not exist for other health professionals.
There are two kinds of Registered Nursing degrees:
- a 4-year BSN
- a 2-year ADN
The jobs and pay are the same and you can earn your BSN through online programs while working.
Required Exams for RNs:
- NCLEX Exam — The National Council of State Boards of Nursing Exam is required to become a licensed RN in Maine.
- NCLEX EXAM COST: $200
- Only those who have completed the requirements set by the Maine State Board of Nursing may take this exam. You must apply to take this test. See more details in the RN Nursing Guide.
- The NCLEX is required in order to practice as a registered nurse in Maine.
- NCLEX Study Materials:
- Free Study Guide for the NCLEX-RN® Exam (Updated 2021) — This online guide can be used with a student/participant to review both nursing content and English. Additional material may be ordered for a small fee.
- Flashcards for the NCLEX-RN® Exam
- Online NCLEX Preparation Courses:
- NCLEX-RN® QBank — The Princeton Review purchased 1,920 NCLEX Practice questions from the National Council on State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) to help you pass the NCLEX exam. Princeton Review cost: $199.00 (with NCSBN discount)
- TOEFL — This will be required unless there is an exemption.
MD to RN
Many foreign-trained physicians choose an RN path. If this is the case, they would need to earn a US nursing degree. What is important is making sure they receive as much credit as possible from medical school.
Many RNs continue their education to become Nurse Practitioners. This is also an option for foreign-trained physicians because an NP is an independent provider. However, most programs available require a BSN to enter.
Sign Up for Advisement Services
Are you ready to take advantage of the services and support that NMRC offers? Sign up to work with an advisor to get your credentials to work in the US!
Find an Advisor
To meet with an advisor to talk about resuming your healthcare career in the US, please fill out the form below.
We're excited to meet you!