Our offerings are designed to help job seekers, of all qualifications and professions, successfully integrate and thrive in the US workforce. Area employers are actively involved in our programs, visiting the classroom to share information about their companies, providing mock interviews, as well as hiring graduates.
Click on Job Seekers Brochure for more information.
The New Mainers Resource Center supports foreign trained professionals to restart their careers in the U.S. If you’re interested in learning more about our programming and meeting with us, please Get in Touch.
Job Readiness Classes
- English classes related to specific professions and sectors.
- US workplace culture class
- Computer literacy classes
- Development of a job search portfolio
- Application and resume writing class
- Job skills and interview preparation classes
Skilled Professionals Program
This program, for job seekers with a University degree or above, includes:
- Career guidance and intensive case management.
- Assistance with credential review and licensing requirements.
- Assistance with job search activities.
- Facilitation of professional networking opportunities with other professionals, employers included.
NMRC has organized the following professional groups:
- Accounting, Finance, Business & Economics Professionals Group
- Computer, IT and Telecommunications Professionals Group
- Education Professionals Groups
- Engineering Professionals Group
- Health Professionals Group
Professionals Clothes Closet
The Professional Clothes Closet is a free resource for professionals who have job interviews or need business attires for their jobs. The clothes are generously donated by various benefactors and are available to Portland Adult Education students and NMRC program participants.
Covid-19 Update- We are no longer accepting or giving out clothes.
“It is a pleasure for me to express my gratitude to NMRC for their support since my arrival here in Portland, Maine in early 2015. I would not be where I am today, had I not benefited from their tremendous support. Even though I had knowledge of some basic English, I would not have landed a job in my field if I had not taken English lessons, job search workshops and taken advantage of the computer lab and other job transition courses sponsored by NMRC. I have gained more knowledge that I am applying in my work that will surely help in my professional advancement. For example, I had the chance to learn some technical English, which I am now using in my job which is in the medical field (pharmacy). NMRC staff consistently followed-up to ensure I succeeded. They assisted me in finding a job, provided great recommendations during my job search, and until today, they check on me to see how I am doing at work. I cannot thank them enough for their care and professionalism.”Marie Louise M.