NMRC Advisement Guide
for Foreign-Trained Health Professionals
The New Mainers Resource Center offers workforce and academic advisement and support for healthcare professionals trained and credentialed prior to coming to the US.
Want to Join the Healthcare Profession?
What is an evaluation?
An evaluation or equivalency is the process by which a person’s college transcripts and diploma are reviewed to determine if they are equal to a US degree. For example, is a bachelor’s degree in economics from a school in Iraq equal to a bachelor’s degree in economics degree from a regionally accredited school in the United States, such as the University of Southern Maine. One step that may be necessary before an evaluation can be done is to first have the documents translated into English. An English translation is not the same thing as an evaluation.
For many new Mainers having an evaluation of their college transcripts and diploma is a very important step in pursuing a career or schooling in the US. Most people want to know the value of their degrees and diplomas.
- Will an employer or school consider their previous education?
- Is their degree equal to a US degree? What is the equivalent degree?
- When is an evaluation of the degree necessary and who should do it?
The answer to these questions is IT DEPENDS.
Knowing when and how an evaluation should be done is a complicated process. It can also be expensive, with a translation costing several hundred dollars and the evaluation costing several hundred dollars as well.
There are several questions a new Mainer should ask themselves and be able to answer before they have an evaluation done:
- Why am I having it done?
- Who wants the evaluation report? Where should I have my evaluation report sent?
- How do they want the evaluation done?
- Do I have, or can I get all of the documents they need for the evaluation and submit them the way they want them submitted?
- If I need documents, such as transcripts and diplomas, from my home country or school, can I get them or will they be sent to an evaluation company?
To get a better understanding of the Credential Evaluation or Equivalency process, review the following document: Equivalencies – Credential Evaluations – When are they Needed? Questions to Ask Yourself
Resources for Health Professionals
Select the healthcare field you were involved with in your home country:
Sign Up for Advisement Services
Are you ready to take advantage of the services and support that NMRC offers? Sign up to work with an advisor to get your credentials to work in the US!